STEP 1: Cleanse and Exfoliate
Before steaming your face, get your skin as clean as possible. Tie your hair back and wash your face with a gentle exfoliating face wash like the Black Magic Cleanser that can remove makeup, dirt, impurities and dead skin cell buildup.
STEP 2: Prep the Steam
Bring a small pot or bowl of water to a boil in the microwave or on the stove. You'll only need a few cups of water. When the water is thoroughly heated, carefully transfer it to a ceramic bowl and allow it to cool down a bit. As for what type of water to use, tap water is fine. Distilled or spring water is easy to find if you’d like to use that instead.
STEP 3: Add Herbs
Add a pinch of herbs to the water, cover bowl or pot and let steep for a 1 to 2min
STEP 4: Steam Your Face
Stand over the bowl or container with your face about 12 inches away from the steam. Drape a sheet or towel over your head and shoulders to create a steam tent. For five to ten minutes (no longer), inhale and exhale slowly as you let the warm, soothing steam hit your face. To avoid irritation, keep your eyes closed. If you feel uncomfortable at any point, remove the towel and move away from the steam.
STEP 5: Add a Mask (optional)
add a good clay mask
STEP 6: Rub an Ice Cube All Over Your Face and Neck
To contrast the warmth felt during the steam facial, follow with an ice cube face mask to cool off.
- 1 ice cube tray
- Steam and Ice herbal blend
How to do it
1. Brew a pinch of the herbal blend in distilled water, add honey when it hot.
2. Pour the mixture into your ice cube tray and place it in the freezer.
3. Once the cubes are frozen, take the tray out of the freezer and let it sit for about a minute (so the cubes are easier to remove and not too cold for your skin). Pop one out and place the remaining facial cubes back in the freezer for next time!
4. Rub an ice cube over your face and neck (think of this as an ice cube facial massage), avoiding your eyes and let it sit for 7-10 minutes (rubbing it around your face).
5. To remove, soak a washcloth in warm water and wipe the mixture off your skin.
6. Follow up with your favorite moisturizer to lock in the hydration and reap the ice cube benefits for your face.